Session 1: API Connect Implementation Best Practices: Experiences from the Field
- The goal here is to provide Node.js developers an open-source way to connect to resources.
- NPM (Node Package Manager)
- You can use handlebars (hbs) templates in NPM to build APIs to ensure compatibility, structure, and compliance.
- The diagram on the right is recommended for maximizing the appliance utilization and investment.
Session 2: Economical z Systems Digital Transformation Powered by z Systems Development and Test Environment
- zVM and zVSE can be used with/on zD&T.
- Templates are available to spin up z/OS images very quickly.
- Number of 8 CPs per instance of zD&T. Usually supports 25 or so individuals.
- There are cloud and personal instances available with a hardware stick required for personal offline versions.
Session 3: DevOps within the Hybrid Cloud: Deploying to the VMWare Platform on the IBM Cloud
- The largest challenges that companies are running into are a lack of networking and software-defined networking abilities.
- IBM and VMWare have partnered to use the VMWare platform and products in the IBM Cloud.
- Multi-speed IT (different release schedules between IT teams [developers and infrastructure]) is still widespread in the industry, but should not hamper the speed of delivery.
- Automating each new process allows deployments to be quick and consistent.
- By automating processes, it also encourages developers to use new tools quicker because it is less disruptive to upgrade or use those new tools.
- Consider binary, application, configuration, and database schemas when automating.
- IBM UrbanCode Deploy supports everything from mainframe to IBM Cloud, to other cloud providers.
Session 4: Programming Languages in the Enterprise: Which Language Should I Use?
- IBM’s idea is to put Java, Node.js, and Swift in all locations of development to ease use of development.